We are going to need 4(or 5) measurements:
1. Neck Circumference (the circumference of the neck right where the collar is worn)
2. Forechest length (the height of the chest from collar to right where the front legs begin)
3. Chest circumference (Around the largest part of the ribs)
4. Back length (from the collar to the base of the tail while the dog is standing flat)
...And then there is a 5th measurement for some....
5. Harness (Measure from the point of the neck that you began measuring the back length down to the connect point/D-ring on the harness)
Here is a video that will help. Below are tips for getting accurate measurements! These are very important!
- Have 2-3 measuring sessions with your dog so you will have more of an idea if you are getting correct results.
- Have an assistant!
- Round up to the nearest inch or half-inch.
- If you can't get your dog to stand flat for the back length measurement, then wait until they are lying flat on their side. Do not take this measurement while sitting, stretching, or curled up as it will not be accurate.
- Have a lot of patience and some good treats or a favorite toy!