Airplane Squeaky Toy
Pattern UsageFor personal use, gifting, and donation only. If you are involved in an animal charity, please contact me with details of the charity and event for permission to sell for fund-raising. Please do not sell or duplicate this pattern or ever use items made from this pattern for personal gain.
download now PDF - free
See on Ravelry
Disclaimer: This is strictly a small dog or puppy toy. It is not extra-strong like my rat toys and could be chewed by a big-toothed or skilled chewer, so please use your discretion! I did my best to design it to where there was a limited amount of sewing- none of the larger pieces are sewn- they are stitched together as you go- to prevent ripping in half via tug-games. The wing symbols and the propeller are sewn on, though. You could always leave those off if you are worried about choking.
Easy. Basic stitches, though some finagling to assemble.
Wingspan is about 7 inches.
.....Approx. 1 ounce each of red (A) and yellow (D).
......A few yards of blue (B) and white (C)
Heavy Duty Squeaker (optional)
SC... single crochet
HDC...half double crochet
DC... double crochet
SL ST... slip stitch
BLO- Back Loop Only
RS... right side
SC2TOG... Single Crochet 2 Together
-Propellor (make 1)
With C, CH 7.SC in 3rd chain from hook. SL ST in next 3 chains. (SC, HDC, 3DC, HDC, SC) all in last chain. SL ST in bottom of chain over next 3 stitches. (SC, HDC, 3DC) in bottom of last chain. Join with beginning chain with a SL ST. FO and sew in ends.
-Wing Symbols (make 2)
With B, CH 2. 6SC in 2nd chain from hook. Join with a SL ST and FO.
With C, Join anywhere with a SL ST. 2 SC in each stitch around. Join with a SL ST and FO, leaving tail for sewing.
-Wing (make 4)
Row 1. With A, CH 6. SC in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain. CH1 and turn. (5 SC)
Row 2. 2SC in 1st stich. SC in the next 3 stitches. 2SC in last stitch. CH1 and turn. (7 SC)
Row 3-10. SC in each stitch. CH1 and turn. FO on last row.
Sew Wing Symbols onto 2 of the wing pieces.
Note: The back side of this is not going to show, so sew them on really well!Sandwich Wings together (1 with emblem and 1 plain). Join A with a SL ST at a corner and place 23SC evenly around the sides and tip, leaving the top open. Stuff all your ends inside.
Repeat for other wing.
-Tail Fins (make 3)
1. With A, CH3. SC in 2nd chain from hook. SC in next CH. CH1 and turn (2SC)
2. 2SC in each stitch. CH1 and turn. (4SC)
3-4. SC in each stitch across. CH1 and turn. FO on last stitch. Sew in ends.
With D, CH21.
Note: Odd number rows are all RS. Be sure all assembly points out on a RS pass.1.SC in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain. CH1 and turn. (20SC)
2. SC across. CH1 and turn.
3, SC in the first 11 stitches. CH1 and turn. (11SC)
4. SC in each stitch across. CH1 and turn. (11SC)
5. SC in each stitch across. Pull tight when you drop down to skipped stitches. CH1 and turn. (20SC)
6-8. Repeat rows 2-4
9. SC in 1st 2 stitches. Placing wing with symbols up, SC through all layers (9SC), securing wing. Continue to SC across (pulling tight to close gap as in Row 5) Until last 4 stitches. Place Tail Fin and SC through both layers to end. CH1 and turn. (20 SC)
10. Repeat row 2
11-12. Repeat rows 3-4.
13. SC across to last 4 stitches. Place Tail Fin and SC through both layer to end. CH1 and turn.
14. Repeat row 2.
15-16. Repeat rows 3-4
17. Repeat row 9 for 2nd Wing and last Tail Fin. Be sure the Wing Symbol is facing down this time.
18-21. Repeat rows 2-5.
22-24. Repeat rows 2-4.
FO leaving long tail for sewing. Sew the belly of the plane together securely. Sew around open Tail tip and pull tight to gather. Fasten securely and sew in end.
-Stuff Plane Body
Place a small amount of stuffing in Tail Section of plane. Add Squeaker, then fill firmly with more Polyfil.
With B, join with a SL ST to front end of body.
1. CH1. SC 24 stitches evenly around. Join with a SL ST. (24 SC)
2-4. CH1, SC around. Join with a SL ST.
5. CH1, in BLO, SC around. Join with a SL ST. (24)
6. CH1. (SC2TOG, SC in the next 2 stitches) 6 times. Join with a SL ST. (18 SC)
7. CH1. (SC2TOG, SC in the next stitch) 6 times. Join with a SL ST. (12SC)
Stuff Nose Cone.
8. CH1. (SC2TOG) 6 times. Join with a SL ST. (6 SC)
FO, leave a tail for sewing.
Secure Nose tightly closed, and sew Propellor in place securely. FO and sew in end.
Two more examples. The military plane I stitched stars on the wings. The other was made per request as a cat toy. There is a bell toy in the center and crinkles* in the wings.
*The cellophane window panes from bill envelopes make excellent crinkles for stuffing cat toys.